Custom Search

25.9.09

Sensoji Temple aka Asakusa Kannon Temple, Asakusa

Akasuka Temple .... oops .. that's was my version when I visited this temple. My sister was puzzled. "Akasuka??!!! We are not going to Akasuka where I dont even know where it is!" Only then I realised it was Asakusa Temple. To be correct, it is Asakusa Kannon Temple aka Sensoji Temple. It's the oldest temple in Tokyo and it's a must visit when you are in Tokyo. Therefore, Tokyo Metropolitan isnt just shopping for you ^_^. This totally suit a non-shoppers like me!


A little history of this temple which I read from Wikipedia (I dont really read the signage hahahahhaa ... tooo busy snapping photos) ..... This temple was build in 645 during the early years of Tokugawa Shogunate and inside this temple, there is a small shrine dedicated to the Goddess of Mercy (Buddhist religion). I am not really a history person. So to find out more, please visit

Well, the first one is the entrance towards the temple. It actually has two entrance, so I cant really figure out which is the main entrance. This temple were so crowded with people. I was thinking whether is it because it was a Sunday or or is it because it was a special occasion or is it because the temple is always crowded. Not because of tourist but because of a lot of the locals crowd this place. Probably, this temple really answer their prayer? I dont know just some wild guessing ... heee ...





This is the tree (is it a willow?) that you can see if you are an anime lover! Nearly every temples you will see this tree around. I wonder how many years has this tree been standing? I dont think it's as old as the temple though ... cos it doesnt seem tall at all .... Most of the time, you will see youngster and "mediumster" wearing yukatas and the guy in their traditional wearing (not sure what it is called) when they visit temple.






This is the first and foremost temple before the Tokugawa shogunate era in this place. I guess you will be awed on how good they maintain the prefectures of this temple! It just look as good as a new one! Just like in the anime, heh~ *grins* ~



This is how the area looks like. Together in this pic is my mommy and sis ... Too bad they are maintaining the main temple (on the right). So cant really see what the structure is like though! But it's a beautiful place!




Not sure because it's in the Tokugawa era, most of the well-known temples that we visited have pagoda ... I wonder why ... hmmm ...



Then, we saw this HUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEE straw sandals known as "O-Waraji"! It was made by 800 citizens! Amazing, huh!! Cant really underestimate the power of humans .. tsk .. .tsk ... tsk ... It is said to protect people from evil charms and wish you safe on the road. A lot of people will touch this big straw sandal!



Then, we moved on to the inner part of the temple (the one which is under construction). I was mesmerized by the drawings on the ceiling of the temple. Everything seems come to live. I really respect those ancient drawings (anywhere not only restricted to Japan). It's hard to find those kind of drawings that really touch your soul nowadays.

A wishing note? You will see those wishing notes tied on this "rack" in any part of any temple in Japan.


Want to know what's your fortune is like? Dropped a 100 yen coin into the box ---> take the container on top of the cabinet ---> shake and get one stick out ---> find your number on the small drawers ---> take your fortune note and read yourself! But be sure that you know how to read Japanese language or else it will just be pointless as there is no one there to translate for you. LOL!!!!


After taking and looking around the pictures, always when you are with Ee Ling, food is always the number one in her place. No matter where she is!! This is a street where in the ancient days pilgrims will stop here to replenish their food and basic necessity after long travelling. Now, it was reconstructed to become THIS! Filled with things that to be sold for tourists and locals!

However, I am not really that interested in things but on the FOOOOOOOOOD!!!! First stop of food is this sweet dessert. Not sure what it is called. Outside is a thin layer of dunno-what-flour and inside was filled with a thick layer of red beans. It's doesnt taste like the "tau-sar" (mashed red beans) in Malaysia or singapore - black and very very sweet! You can see it was red beans that is cooked till really really soft and they mashed it to make the fillings of this sweet cakes! Taste nice and not too sweet! I think it will really goes well if you have a cup of green tea with you! Just love it!!

See I am not just saying it! Look at their red beans. Instead of the black ones (I think probably because the red beans or sugar go burnt??!!) that we always get in our "bao" (chinese buns), we get really authentic mashed red bins here!!

Next is another sweet cakes from another stall. I guess good food needs queue! I forgot to mention that just now at the previous stall, we need to queue for about 15 mins to get our sweets! And this too. We follow where the most locals crowd. So that's the indicator saying that the food is really good! This indicator applies everywhere I think ... hmmm ... maybe yes .... maybe not .... cos there are certain stalls in Singapore and Malaysia that I eat dont seem to taste as what I expect .... but at least the standard is there la ^_^. We bought 3 different taste from this stall. Black sesame, green tea and pumpkin. As you can see, the fillings and the layer of skins are made from their respective fillings! Taste good too Hehehe....



Then we saw a series of biscuits! Dont know how this biscuits taste cos it was not cheap. I think 8 pcs cost about 800 yen? Cant really remember but we didnt buy cos it's too ex ...
Then we tasted the fishes too. It's also a sweet cakes! Filled with red beans. The texture of the outer layer is totally different from the first one! Love it love it love it! They have this in ION Orchard Singapore. But ION Orchard filling is too little and the outer skin is too thick. Dont taste good. The fillings in Singapore version is too sweet in comparison! Hmm .. not that healthy. Maybe improvement should me made ... hahahhaa.... Well, well that's not for me to decide. It's just my opinion. Maybe others doesnt think this way ...


Ok folks. I hope you are not too tired reading this post and I do hope you enjoy it. Next stop will be ... ummm ... Mount Fuji! Till then. See you guys in the next post!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails